A retaining wall engineer is required if the wall will be in a seismic area. This can be determined by checking the United States Geological Service's map of seismic areas. The map shows regions that are at risk for earthquakes, ranging from yellow to red, and require an engineer's assessment.
Issues with this site? Let us know.